Think all you have to do is fill out an application to get the job you want? Unfortunately, it takes a bit more effort than that. The job market is competitive, and lots of people are competing for the same jobs. Learn how to put your best foot forward to get the job you want.
The JobsJournal newsletter can be a good resource with articles about interviewing techniques, how to deal with difficult employers and career resources.
Resume Writing And Tips
Learn how to write a resume and get tips on what interviewers want to hear and see during a job interview. We’ve got the tips here.
Tips to find a job
- Know what you’re qualified for and have the skills to do.
- Learn how to read the want ads and use online resources to look for open positions.
- Be honest and truthful on your application.
- Arrive a few minutes early for your interview.
- Dress appropriately. If you’re not sure about your interview outfit, ask an adult for an honest opinion.
- Don’t wear too much makeup or jewelry.
- Ask questions to learn more about the company and the position. Know when to talk and when to listen.
- Show enthusiasm during the interview. Convince the employer that you want the job.
So you’re prepared and can knock their socks off during the interview. Your resume is picture perfect. Where are you going to apply? There are numerous resources that list available jobs in your field of interest and in your area.
When you get the job
- Always be on time. If you are going to be late, always call.
- Ask for help if you are unsure how to do something.
- Avoid cursing and inappropriate language.
- Dress appropriately.
- Keep your personal life to yourself – you are there to do a job.
- Use breaks or personal time – not time at work – for personal telephone calls and visits from friends.
- Learn as much as you can so that you can grow and get experience.